1. What causes the phases of the Moon?
If the above question stumped you, look at the animation below.
Animation of Phases of the Moon
2. Why does the Moon shine in the sky?
3. Which of the following two astronomical effects that we see on Earth are caused by the Moon?
The figure shows the Earth and Moon to correct relative size, although not to
4. About how big is the Moon's radius compared to the Earth's?
5. What are the large smooth dark areas (Such as B in the figure below)
The larger dark areas are ancient congealed lava that flooded into immense craters made by asteroids when the Moon was young. The simple animation below shows what astronomers think may have happened.
Movie of formation of Mare Serenitatis
6. Given that the Moon's diamter is about 3500 km ( roughly 2000 miles), about how big across is the dark area marked B?
7. What are the smaller round pits with raised rims (such as you can see in the Figure)
8. What created the white streaks that you can see radiating from the point C?
9. Why don't you see any signs of clouds or haze above the Moon's surface?
10.Why doesn't the Moon have an atmosphere?
11. What causes tides?
The short movie below shows how the Moon's gravity pulls harder on the near
side water than on the far-side water and creates the two bulges that lead
to the tides.
Animation of Tides
Animation of Total Lunar Eclipse
13. How are the Moon and eclipses related?
14. We don't get eclipses every month. This is because